Monday, October 13, 2008

The little thing that became big

It was Sunday evening and I was finally back home.. only to realize that my old roomate had come to take her bed away, i.e. Vidya was bedless.. :(..
As the Walmart was just 5 minutes away.. I decided to go to Walmart with her to get a new bed, making Vidya = bedful..
So we walk along, and on entering decide to get the same thing she had, but with a smaller size.. I pass along and then I see this great comforter on sale (with pillow covers), and 2 great looking pillows, and this very cute table, and soda, and chips.. and before I know it, Im dragging my trolley home with a $150 bill rather than the $50..sigh sigh...
The next thing I know we reach home, and open this supposedly "easy to assemble" table - made in china consisting a variety of screws, hooks and otehr cardboard and styrofoam junk..
Proceeding to assemble the seemingly innocent looking table, we decided to screw i the foundation, so that I didnt have the whole thing slamming on my feet while i worked.. We managed to screw just half in, and wondered why the hinge was dangling at this awkward angle with no particular function...
Well Nailing in all the foundation screws, we observed that they all protruded at exactly the same length.. hmm.. complexed bewitched, I proceded to use every ounce of energy in my already aching limbs, only to have the screw move a couple of mms, but having the horrible realization that there were 5 others screws awaiting the same treatment.
We then proceeded to the next set of screws, to fix the shelves onto the table. Now either the holes in the boards were done by a blind person, or someone having a problem with a perception of depth.. for whatever the reason, we had holes drilled into areas that were completely out of sync with the rest of the configuration, which left us with randomly putting nails in at random angles to attempt making shelves on my new, already old feeling table.
We then proceeded to remodel my entire room, with old memories of being an interior designer some day (I wonder if cheap furnishing from Walmart for a great effect would have a market?).
Closing word: Make a list before shopping, for not making one definitely does not help the bill..

1 comment:

Neo said...

Ha ha... Nice :)